Normally the Carbon dioxide (CO2 laser is used here for precision cutting of materials. CO2 laser is typically produced by passing a current into the DC –excited gas mix. The laser beam is then directed and controlled by computer to cut the work piece.
Level of surface finish achieved: 6.3-0.20 micro meters
- Very fast rate of operation
- Narrow heat affected zone
- Complicated profile can be cut
- Very hard brittle materials can be cut
- Costly equipment
- Maximum thickness that laser can cut is 6mm for plain carbon steel
Ideal applications: the laser cutting can be applied for boring, cutting, engraving variety of materials including stainless steel, mild steel, aluminum, titanium, epoxy, plywood, copper.